NYC Teachers Volunteering in Guatemala

General discussion about volunteer opportunities in Guatemala with a focus on Xela.
jokerswildnyc

NYC Teachers Volunteering in Guatemala

Post by jokerswildnyc » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:24 am

This is a long shot, but I thought I would ask-

NYC public school teachers can apply for leaves of absence and sabbaticals after 7 years of service. I would like to take one of these (prefer the sabbatical) to do some work, volunteer or otherwise, in Guatemala for 6months to a year (depending on what is approved by the dept. of education).

I was hoping a NYC teacher who has gone throught this process, or an NGO/organization who has helped or worked with teachers in this situation, who could help me out, give me their thoughts, etc. I am especially interested in the "special project" sabbatical and how I can go about planning one of those.

Thanks. John.

jokerswildnyc

Re: NYC Teachers teaching in Guatemala

Post by jokerswildnyc » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Its been two years since I first posted this.

Looking to hear from NYC teachers who have been able to get a teaching assignment approved by the NYC DOE in Guatemala, specifically Xela. Getting closer and closer to actually trying to do this.

Anyone?

jokerswildnyc

Re: NYC Teachers Volunteering in Guatemala

Post by jokerswildnyc » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Also - if anyone knows how to figure out what schools are "approved" by the State Department (NYC requirement), whatever that means.