Stuff I Should Bring

General discussion about volunteer opportunities in Guatemala with a focus on Xela.
durhamm

Stuff I Should Bring

Post by durhamm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:36 pm

What can I bring that will help?

I'm a bookseller, my specialty is books. I've already started saving, but if this isn't what is needed...

Any good ideas? I have about $200.00 set aside for stuff to bring. Would this be better in cold, hard cash to the orphanage of my choice?

Kate in Canada

Re: Stuff I Should Bring

Post by Kate in Canada » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 pm

I think cash is best. Once you get to Xela you can check around and see where your money could be used. If you can bring a few childrens' books, written in Spanish, and donate them to an orphanage that would also be appreciated.

Have a wonderful time.

Best regards,

K
Jesus es amor

durhamm

Re: Stuff I Should Bring

Post by durhamm » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 am

How about English language children's workbooks? I come across a TON of them and have a 50 pound bag to fill up... It literally wouldn't cost me anything, I go through thousands of books in a month and have a stack ready to go. I've already got spanish language books set aside, so I'll count that as a definite go.

One month and five days. :) I've started to buy traveller's checks, and I'm paid up in rent until November. Exciting!

I know when I went before there were certain types of medication that were rare. Is this still the case? How about kid shoes? I know those were expensive in Guatemala when I went last, where I can get them for a buck apiece here.

I'll still bring the money. I was just a teeny-bopper when I went last and still remember the kids in the slums. Words can't express how it changed my life, though that sounds so cliche. If you belong to an organization and need something small, PLEASE ask. It's an honor to be asked.