Volunteer Web Designer needed

General discussion about volunteer opportunities in Guatemala with a focus on Xela.
admin
Site Admin

Volunteer Web Designer needed

Post by admin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help designing a web site for the Museo Ixkik (Museum of Traje Tipica) here in Xela. The Museum has been going for about 3 years and has an incredible display of local clothing worn by the different Indigenous groups in Guatemala. They currently have about 80 different trajes on display.

The museum has very little funding, so I will be donating the domain name and Web hosting and am looking for someone with web design experience that can help design the site. You DO NOT have to be here in Xela, I can send you the pictures and text that are needed to design the site. If you are here in Xela that would work also.

Ok, anyone interested????

Email me - tom@xelapages.com

Tom Lingenfelter

mouse

Re: Volunteer Web Designer needed

Post by mouse » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:15 am

Hi Tom,

We would be willing to help out with the design of the website as well as provide training materials for the museums staff on how to update their website with content - the idea being that they can become self-sustaining and in control of their own web presence.

We are an Oregon based NGO that does community development work through utilizing volunteers in Thailand and have recently done some good work in Guatemala in partnership with LHI.

We believe in Open Source technologies, as paid for software is not a genuine option for communities without disposable income and recommend Wordpress as the platform on which to build a site. Most hosts provide Wordpress as an option in their toolkits.

Feel free to check out our site Mundo Exchange to see if you find the style of presentation agreeable. As with all Wordpress sites various themes can be applied to alter the style and to make them relevant to the project in mind.

The only cost could be a reciprocal link between the museum and our site which benefits both parties.

If the project is still up for needing done we are happy to oblige. I'll send an email to you too.

-Mouse

admin
Site Admin

Re: Volunteer Web Designer needed

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Mouse,

Thank you for contacting me. I will get the text and photos to you shortly and we can move forward.

Tom